Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Communication... Part I

It is amazing how much we take language and communication for granted. Knowing how to ask for directions, being able to convey whether you'd prefer paper or plastic, or just being able to smile and say good morning to your neighbors. It is strange how you appreciate something the most when you no longer have it. I close my eyes at night and my head spins with words I hear but don't understand. Non adesso, alora, and che cosa. What do they mean? Why are they stuck in my head? And wherever did I hear them?

Yes our ability to communicate effects us in ways we can't even imagine. For example...

A few days ago I was out buying supplies with some of the girls on the team. It was late when we finished up and since we were loaded down with large supplies (e.g. an iron, ironing board, laundry detergent, etc) we decided to ride a taxi cab home. The ladies were busy chatting in the back seat and I was upfront with the driver when he asked in Italian what number we were going to. I was very impressed with myself when I realized I had picked up the words for apartment and number and therefore knew what he was asking.

“204!” I announced with enthusiasm and rather loudly. He stared back at me blankly then repeated himself.

“204!” I once again declared with a huge grin. This time he shook his head and looked at me as if I was nuts as he asked for the THIRD time what my apartment number was. I opened my mouth to AGAIN tell him that I lived at 204. Suddenly it dawned on me, I was speaking English and had absolutely no idea how to say "two hundred and four" in Italian. Sighing I turned to the ladies in the back, “Can somebody please tell this poor man what number we live at?”

Yes... communication is essential. And yes... I will be starting language school this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment