Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Saturday in Italy

Our Kitchen has arrived! The instillation men came around 8:45 this morning and had everything in by 10:30 or so. It was a very interesting experience. They figured out immediately that we weren't Italian (go figure) and were laughing at us incessantly. Sigh... have I mentioned lately how frustrating it can be to not understand what's being said around you? Thankfully Laura knows enough to get us by... but we did go across the hall and get Thomas to come sit in the apartment with us (he also speaks some Italian). That worked like a charm... they straightened up pretty fast and got down to business with the instillation instead of spending all of the morning laughing at the dumb American girls. Now we have a nice working refrigerator!!! YAY! We still need to wait for our gas to get turned on and the plumber/gas man to come hook up our sink and stove (it's illegal for anyone but a specially licensed man to do it otherwise I'm sure one of us would be able to figure out how to at least get the faucet running).

Alore... on another note... I went to the grocery store all by myself today! A big feat for someone who only knows how to say “sorry I don't speak Italian” and “excuse me.” Not to mention I have to make all of my purchases based on the pictures since I obviously can't actually read the Italian labels. Did I mention that the other day I tried to buy orange juice and accidentally purchased unsweetened yellow grapefruit juice? Yes that was a shock when I took the first sip. True story. Anyway... today I went all by myself because we had nothing to eat for breakfast and we couldn't leave the men in the house alone. So it fell upon me to go breakfast shopping. It was a good experience and the cashier was very pleasant and understanding about me not knowing Italian. No mishaps... I'd definitely call that a good experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment